What Am I Writing for NaNoWriMo 2014?

17:34




Last week, I promised to share something about the novel I will be writing for NaNoWriMo. It just so happens that Cait and Sky, who run the Beautiful People link up, are running a NaNoWriMo themed link up this month. It’s the perfect chance to share something about what I’m writing. Introducing Siren, my fairy tale rewrite involving mutants, superheroes and cool gadgets.


1. What came first: characters or plot idea? Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Neither actually. I got hit with a brilliant concept late one night. What if I took fairy tales and added superheroes? Thus the idea for a ten book series was born, including this book, which is a totally epic retelling of The Little Mermaid. Talk about too much inspiration! I used to be a total pantser (and secretly wish I still was), but I do plot a bit now. So my answer is probably plantser.

2. Do you have a title and/or a “back-cover-blurb”?
Yes to both. And I even made a pretty graphic for them too, including an amazing cover designed by my talented sister. See?


3. What wordcount are you aiming for when your novel is finished?
I’m aiming for 60k-70k at the end of the draft. That’s where the first two books in the series have ended up, so it’s not an unreasonable goal.

4. Sum up your novel in 3 sentences.
Eric is dying.
Stuff gets blown up.
There are mutants.

5. Sum up your characters in one word each.
I have lots of characters, too many to list at the moment without everyone getting thoroughly confused, so I shall just do the villain and the heroine.
Hector: Misguided (and vengeful as well. He needs both words.)
Nicola: Hyperactive

6. Which character are you most excited to write? Tell us about them!
The character I’m actually most excited to write about is a poor guy who barely gets any page time, Aaron. He’s the loveliest fellow, but he’s not exactly a big character (yet), and he does have some terrible luck. To sum him up, he’s super big, super strong, and super hairy. Any ideas as to which fairy tale character he might be?

7. What about your villain? Who is he, what is his goal?
Hector. Talented mutant, rebel leader, and man on a mission. His goal is equality for mutants. Or supremacy. It doesn’t really matter at this point. Currently he’s hoping to blow some stuff up for the good of mutant-kind.

8. What is your protagonist’s goal? And what stands in the way?
Nicola’s goal: Save Eric’s life, (and the world if possible) and hopefully punch Hector in the face if she gets a chance.

What stands in the way? Hector. Modern medicine (seriously not geared towards mutants). An entire rebel army. The usual.

9. What inciting incident begins your protagonist’s journey?
It all started the night the mutants began spontaneously combusting…Or it could have been the bit where her friend was dying and forgot to tell her that important fact. You’d think he’d have remembered to mention that at some point.

10. Where is your novel set?
Australia. Some city that doesn’t exist and has managed to go through two books so far without being named. I should probably see to that at some point…

11. What are three big scenes in your novel that change the game completely?
I’m not much of a plotter (my timeline happens to be a scribbly mess of notes in a notebook), but I do know of three scenes which appear to be rather important, so I’ve put those ones in.

Scene 1: The scene where they work out that mutants are making their powers explode on purpose. This one actually is important because it’s the start of the whole adventure

Scene 2: Nicola finding out that Eric is dying and hasn’t managed to get around to telling anyone yet. This one is important just because it’s explosive and has potential for some great dialogue.

Scene 3: The climax where they stop Hector’s plans but he ends up kidnapping one of their companions by mistake. Climaxes are very important and this one sets up nicely for the next book.

12. What is the most dynamic relationship your character has? Who else do they come in contact with or become close to during the story?
That would probably be between Nicola and Eric. It’s a very…explosive relationship. What? He froze her swimming pool the first time they met. They start to become better friends in this book. Good friends to the point where she would risk her life to try and help him. It’s a good friendship.

13. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
She becomes a bit more responsible, a bit more caring towards others. She also learns a bit more self-respect, and definitely learns that teamwork is a good thing.

14. Do you have an ending in mind, or do you plan to see what happens?
I do indeed. For once I actually have a bit of a plan as to where this book is going. The ending involves much trickery, cool gadgets, and crazy villain stuff. It’s going to be cool.

15. What are your hopes and dreams for your book? What impressions are you hoping this novel will leave on your readers and yourself?
Basically I hope that people are left thinking that this is a seriously cool book and that they want to go and read the rest of the books in the series. As for me, I’m hoping to be left with the enthusiasm to go and write the other seven books in the series. And find the strength to edit them all too.


So that's a little about my NaNoWriMo project. Have you written about your book? Link me to your post! Have you ever found that your favourite character is one of the minor characters? Anyone else have trouble writing synopses?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Looking at your answer to the questions, your novel seems amazing!!!
    Oh my.. froze her swimming pool haha!
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a bit nervous about sharing this in case people thought it was stupid, so I'm glad you liked it. Yep, froze her swimming pool. Nicola is very protective of her swimming pool. That was the start of a glorious book-long feud. She's so much fun to write about. I'm looking forward to giving her a book of her own.

      Delete
  2. Your novel seems great! Maybe you can share the first two books with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jollygirl! I'll have to see about sharing a little more about these books sometime. (Got to be careful though. Once I start talking about my projects, I never shut up!) I'm glad you like the sound of the series though.

      Delete
  3. Is Aaron the big bad wolf? Just guessing xD
    And I think Siren is a lovely name for a novel. What are the names of the other two you've written so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catalina. My other two books so far are called Snow, which is a retelling of Snow White, and Ember, which is a retelling of Cinderella. I tried to make the names refer to the tales, but it's hard not to make them boring. Nope! Aaron is actually the Beast, from Beauty and the Beast.

      Delete
  4. Wow this book sounds seriously awesome! I've always wanted to do a fairytale retelling, but I've never been able to come up with something unique. And yes, I am the worst at coming up a synopsis!

    Good luck with NaNo and I hope you have fun writing this!

    My Post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it hear it's not just me that has trouble. I have to get so much help from other people to polish my synopses up nicely. Fairy retellings are hard to make unique, aren't they? Especially when you're going up against people like Marissa Meyer and Jessica Day George, who both write such amazing books. I'm sure you'll be hit with an awesome idea for a retelling at some point. Good luck with your NaNo too!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/