Writing Music: Whispers

21:13

In my searches for interesting new music to listen to, I often find uplifting, dramatic, or exciting music, inspiring thoughts of battles, epic journeys and triumphant endings. But I’ve always found it difficult to locate much music good for sad or subdued moods and scenes. However, this week’s Writing Music piece, Whispers, from the musician Eurielle, is good for the type of scene that needs a more sorrowful, yet not intensely grieving mood, and the music video could be an interesting source of story inspiration too.

The music video shows a man’s journey through his grief after losing his wife. The music echoes this mood, with an almost ominous opening, while the main melody is carried by haunting, wordless vocals. The mood of this piece is generally quite subdued, sad and even a little eerie at times, but it still manages to have a few uplifting moments. This piece could be good for a graveside scene sometime after a funeral, or a scene where a character is trying to come to terms with some loss. On a slightly less sorrowful note, I could also see this music being useful for a scene of haunting, unearthly beauty.



Have you ever found inspiration from a music video as well as from a song? What sort of scene do you think this piece would suit? What are you listening to this week? Recommend me some great music!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Music videos are the best when you're not actively writing, just sort of letting the ideas stew in your head. I definitely fell in love the "Poison and Wine" music video before the music, even though I love the music head over heels now. And gah, this little video is gorgeous. I love these eerie, wordless notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that 'Poison and Wine' by The Civil Wars? I've definitely watched music videos just for the beauty of the video. Those wordless vocals just add so much emotion and mood to this piece, don't they? I love this piece so much. Thank you for stopping to listen to it Alyssa. It means a lot to me when people like the music I share.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful piece! A lot of Of Monsters and Men songs and videos have inspired me. I'm mostly listening to loud music while going through beta feedback like "Centuries" by Fall Out Boy. ^ ^

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've heard anything by Of Monsters and Men, or Fall Out Boy. Sounds like I have some more artists to go and investigate. Thanks Victoria!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/