5 Books I Am Excited To Read

19:00


Today was one of those red letter days where we took a massive trip to the library, returned most of their catalogue of books, and borrowed the other half off their shelves. These are somewhat epic journeys involving careful deliberation, towering book stacks, and much staggering home under the weight of a ton of books at the end. This week’s haul was particularly juicy, and today I thought I’d share a quick list of the five I am most looking forward to reading.


Devil Bones
Kathy Reichs

This is from my brief forays into the adult section of the library (usually characterised by snatch and grab missions. One does not simply browse the adult section). It’s part of a series of thrillers about a forensic anthropologist helping solve unusual crimes. I love the craft of forensics, and these books are amazingly gripping. The author has actually worked in forensics as well, so she really knows what she’s talking about, which is cool. 


Life In Outer Space
Melissa Keil

This book has nerds and Star Wars and sounds cute and epic at the same time. I’ve heard it is quite worth reading, so I’ve been trying hard to find the time to fit it in. Alas, this is probably my third time of borrowing with the intention of actually starting it. But I persist because A) the cover, and B) it just generally sounds like a fun book.


The Dead I Know
Scott Gardener

Sleepwalking? Lost memories? A job in a funeral directors? These all sound like excellent things to be in a book. I know exactly nothing else about this book, but the fact that it appears to be about dead people is a positive point in its favour. I do love me a good corpse of a morning.


A Thousand Pieces Of You
Claudia Grey

I swear half the reason I picked this book is because of the cover. It is so gorgeous. Also the story apparently involves murder and interdimensional travel, which combined sound like the premise of a very interesting book. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this one recommended around as well, so I’m hopeful that it’s going to be good. 


The Demi-Monde
Rod Rees

This is from the same snatch and grab mission to the adult session and is rather a monster of a book, which fills my little YA soul with fear (am I just reading the wrong books, or are adult books noticeably slower paced than most YA books?). However, it’s about virtual realities, which is always such a cool concept, and it also has a younger protagonist, so I’m hoping it’s going to be good.


What books are you excited about reading in the future? Have you read any of these books? Would you recommend any of them? And tell me, am I the only one who feels a bit awkward lingering in the adult’s section (even though I am technically an adult)?

Also, a quick shout out to my talented sister Sophie@The Techno Maid, who took these pictures for me. I can't photograph anything (nor can I edit photos, as you can probably tell), so it's nice to be able to have personalised pictures for this post. You should definitely check out her amazing Instagram account.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Ooh, I just went to the library on Thursday and got a massive stack, and one of the books I snatched was A Thousand Pieces of You. Obviously this means we're bookish twins. *nods* The other four books you mentioned I've never actually heard of, but they all look very good and I will have to check them out as well.

    I feel a little weird in the adult section, mostly because I know so little about the newer adult books. Like, will it be interesting? Do I look dumb spending forever trying to figure out which book I want to choose? I actually didn't grab anything adultish this time around because the adult books I did look for weren't in, so that was depressing. But I do have a list, and it makes me feel a little more confident that I at least look like I know what I'm doing. :P But yeah, I grabbed so many books my sister and I had trouble carrying them all out of the library in one trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! We really must be bookish twins. It's surprising how alike we are in some ways when it comes to books. Ooh that's a good trick, coming in with a list. I never know what I'm going to get from the adult section when I go in there, but it always helps if I know what author I'm looking for at the very least. It's difficult though, isn't it? I'm actually quite surprised had how different adult books are to YA books. I've read some really good ones. And then I've read some that are long and pretentious and waffley and they get away with it simply because they're adult books. Very strange indeed.

      Delete
  2. Oh, A Thousand Pieces of You! Heard a lot about that one but never felt compelled to actually pick it up. Life in Outer Space sounds so fluffy and fun! I haven't been to a library/bookstore recently since I'm trying to clear out my books from last year, but quite enjoying Red Rising so far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the ever present problem of the overly large TBR list. I always have far too many books to read too, but I have much less self-control than you. I can never resist a trip to the library.

      Delete
  3. HOLY CRAP THAT LAST ONE IS HUGE.
    I'm looking forward to reading Made You Up by Francesca Zappia, Merrick by Anne Rice, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan, The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett, and The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, among some others.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! But it sounds really good, so I'm hoping the size doesn't mean that it's slow paced and draggy, or I'll never make it through! Ooh, I don't think I know any of those books. But I'll have to look some of those up. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/