Discussion: How Do You Recharge Creatively?

19:00


As writers, we’re constantly having to come up with ideas, brainstorm solutions, and think our way out of problems in highly creative ways. And if you blog as well, like many of us do, that’s an added creative outlet. Which is awesome. But sometimes it can be really, really exhausting. For most people, there eventually comes a time when the well runs dry and you struggle to come up with ideas or be excited about working on creative projects. At times like these, it can often be better to take a little break and recharge.

For me, my creative recharge is usually found in several ways. Firstly, if possible, I like to take a break from creative work. Or, if not a complete break, I try to take a little extra time out of my day to do something enjoyable and not particularly creative. Secondly, I read. Especially when I’m writing, I don’t read nearly enough, so taking the time to read and expose myself to other people’s work and ideas can be very refreshing. Thirdly, I talk to people. Not about problems or anything like that, but just talk in general, about their projects, what people are doing, the ideas they’re having, anything really. Being around creative people is amazingly contagious.


These are some of the ways that I like to recharge my creative batteries, which is a subject I’d love to talk more about in the future. But I’d love to hear from you. Do you ever feel burnt out creatively? If so, how do you recharge? If not, what’s your secret? How do you maintain the creativity in your life? Let’s discuss!

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I burn out easier (curse of an INFJ) because I put my 100% into any project I do. XD So I usually have to take a week or two break from writing (which I still need to work into my schedule better) and also video games helps me recharge too. Good discussion!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A break really helps, doesn't it? I wonder if maybe it's not just that when you take a break you're not having to constantly come up with ideas for your book, but you're also giving yourself permission to come up with ideas not restricted to just one project? Video games sound like a great outlet too!

      Delete
  2. I like your ways of recharging. I definitely burn out easily, especially throughout semester. I love reading as a way of recharging, just like you said because when I'm working on my story, I don't read as much so when I don't know how to continue or I need a break, I grab a book. Another way of recharging for me is a walk in a nature or a run in the park. That way I forget about everything and I just focus on my surroundings. This is also connected with my third way and that's meditation which may sound silly but it actually helps me recharge, not only creatively but in general. But I think this is helpful blog post, many writers and bloggers can find inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I sympathise with the semester burnout. It's the worst for writing, isn't it? Getting out in nature is such a good way of resting and recharging. there's something about fresh air and a change of scene that gets the ideas flowing again, isn't there? I've never tried meditation, but I've heard quite a few people say how useful it is for them as writers. I could definitely see that being helpful in general. These are such good ways to rest and recharge!

      Delete
  3. This is such a relevant topic to me. I often feel creatively drained. I do many of the same things that you do. I read books, I read other blogs and I do other non-creative things (like cleaning:P)

    I always make an effort to do creative things that I don't need to be successful at. Sometimes that's painting, sometimes that's building a house in Sims. It doesn't matter if I succeed or not, it's just fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading other people's blogs is surprisingly inspiring, isn't it? I read blogs a lot when I'm not feeling the blog inspiration. Not to steal ideas, but being around people being creative on their blogs sparks so many ideas.

      That's a great idea. Being creative without the pressure to be any good at it sounds lie such a good way to keep in touch with your creative brain while giving it time to relax.

      Delete
  4. For me, I like to recharge watching TV. It can be a bad way to recharge since it's easy to get sucked into a show and never come up for air again, but at the same time, I've also noticed that I love the stories onscreen in a way that just can't be replicated on paper. Yeah. But, of course, recharging through reading is important and something I do, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes! TV can be a great way to recharge. I totally agree. For me, I think it's something about the visual element to the storytelling that film has. A single look in a movie can have so much more impact than in the written word, for example.

      Delete
  5. I always forget that I need to recharge and then remember that duh, of course I'm having issues, I'm running on empty. :P Like Heather, TV is a big thing for me! I feel less bad about that now that I've heard Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, both big YA authors, talk about how binge-watching a show helps them out of a slump. I always seem to find something that inspires me in some way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great to hear that big authors do the same things we do, like binge watching TV, or procrastinating by watching YouTube. There are so many good ideas to be sparked by TV and movies, aren't there? It's like the perfect mix of pictures, stories, and music all wrapped up in one big package!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/